Saturday, May 28, 2005

Honestly, how many of us can take criticism sportive? I have been observing people for a while. They are the best buddies, but the moment a note of criticism is pulled out, the camaraderie disappears. Why can't I criticize one aspect of you and still be a friend?. I am not immune to that either. Often times, it gets on my nerve but I do mellow down and don't let that get on with the way of life. But many don't do that. Kind of interesting, especially among Indians. So, are we brought up to defy criticisms?

One example that struck me in today's news is criticisms on Honorable CM Dharam Singh by the IT Honchos. Dear CM, Bangalore is bleeding because of incapable administration. This is not criticism, because you are not my friend or foe either. You are a public servant and I look at you through that prism only. When 30% of my income is pulled out to pay your paycheck, you become the servant of the public sir. If I don't do my job properly, firing me is easy for my boss. One phone call and I am out. But no one can do that to you except by public opinion mobilisation. That is what we do sir, to tell the public that you have failed. That is what Mr.Moorthy and other IT honchos did when they criticised you. Instead of pulling out statistics that 10000 km road widening, see how much time it takes for an average citizen to travel from Point A to Point B in Bangalore and other cities of India. That is a benchmark and not 10000km road widening sir.

Came across this interesting Blog by Gaurav Sabnis on Libertarianism ">Sabnis

Kind of refreshing to read such opinions among Blogs which are like what I did yesterday. The problem is not with Liberty Sabnis. If I go to a restaurant, I want clean hygienic food. If I don't get it, I need a redressal mechanism. The redressing authority can't redress a grievance if it does not know or have control over how food is prepared. Precisely that is what Sanitation Dept, FDA do. If they don't have that power, it is Responsibility without Authority. So, in the name of liberty, we cannot do away with that. But we should evolve mechanisms and make the process transparent so that an ordinary Joe can set up a restaurant, if he knows what he has to comply with and does that religiously without any pain or bribing. That is what we should fight for in the name of Liberty. Not the removal of approvals.

On a lighter and personal side, I managed to sell my swanky car as I am relocating to India in another month. One good soul loaned me his second car. Thank you buddy for giving me the much needed mobility in the US. It is fun to drive this car, which has everything manual, except the transmission of course. A fairly old car and it draws attention where ever I drive. I am relishing driving this. I used to be careful while driving my swanky car, watching out for potential damages. Other guys used to be the hunters. Now the hunters became the hunted. HeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHe!!!

Ciao
|